IML: Cylinder heads and sunken valves

If anyone is interested there are some very good tech articles on Mopar Muscle's site regarding big block cylinder heads. They tend to blow away some of the rubbish surrounding Mopar heads. The latest heads(452) from 76-78 actually are probably one of the best. I went to local pick a part today and pulled a set from a 1977 Newport with a 400. As an added bonus looks like they were themselves overhauled recently as they are very clean with newer frost plugs and Felpro gaskets. And the exhaust seats are perfect. It seems to be debateable whether 1972 heads had hardened seats. I don't think mine were as I have never seen seats so badly recessed. Maybe that was a bad day for heads. However I am happier now and will proceed with my top end work which includes a mild performance Summit cam package.

Robin Giesbrecht
1972 Imperial