Re: IML: 1962 VIN plate question (factory or modified)

Re: IML: 1962 VIN plate question (factory or modified)

I have never seen them spot welded in that fashion, but they seemed to be
attached to the door post with the holes punched at that time.   Although
some have seen rivets or welds. the ones I have seen seem to be held in
place by some adhesive.  Perhaps with Chrysler's Cycleweld.

The plate is correct in having the first two digits stamped into the plate
and not raised.  Prior to 1968 Chrysler used the Shipping Order Number to
track the vehicle from order placement until the car rolled off the line.
The SON was stamped on  the data tag, on some hidden location around the
engine compartment,, and on the build sheet.  The data tag did not get the
VIN until 1969 and I am not sure of the year the build sheet did, but it was
around 1967-68.

Up to 1965, the VIN tags were stamped with the model year, assembly plant
and sequential production number.   As the car came down the line, a line
worker would grab a VIN plate and punch the first two digits onto the
plate - the car line/engine type and series/body style.   The VIN was then
attached to the car and recorded.  The build record, as supplied by
DaimlerChrysler Historical has the VIN as they were produced after the car
left the assembly plant.   I know they were produced after the car left the
assembly plant as they have the "Date Shipped" on them, as well as the VIN,
SON and Date of Assembly.

Bill
Vancouver, BC