Re: IML: 60-63 interior door handle breakage fix ?

Re: IML: 60-63 interior door handle breakage fix ?

I filled mine with resin.  It helped a little by
distributing some of the pressure away from the stem.

Helps more to instruct your passengers to use fingers
and not palms to open the doors.

-Kenyon

--- Longramx2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Everybody who has owned a 60-63 imperial is probably
> aware of the problem
> with the interior door handles breaking. I was
> pulling stuff off a 61 at a
> junkyard last week and noticed that all four of the
> handles were broken on that one.
> My blame for the problem is that the top of the
> handle is hollow and gets
> real thin were it meets the stem, causeing it to
> flex, over time all the flexing
> leads to breakage. My idea is to fill the hollowed
> top portion of the handle
> with something. I believe that would stop the
> flexing, add strenth and save the
> unbroken pieces that are left. I have considered
> lead, fiberglass resin, or
> some sort of epoxy like maybe JB weld. As for the
> already broken handles
> they're pretty much scrap metal, they're made of pot
> metal I believe,  and cant be
> welded as far as I know. I would like to hear some
> of your opinions on this
> fix. Has anybody ever did this before ?

Kenyon Wills