Re: IML: Looking for an LR78-15 tire

David,

Gee, all the legal disclaimers at the bottom of your posting make me
hesitant to say anything (j/k), but here goes my opinion...

Please advise your friend not to use a vintage tire. Period. A reproduction
new tire, sure. But an old tire, even with a tube, is not safe.

Tires do more than hold air. They hold up a bunch of weight, often well more
than a quarter of the car's total weight. They provide fore-aft and lateral
traction in braking and cornering. They absorb a large portion of the road
surface's irregularities. They are subject to numerous physical stresses to
both the tread and the sidewalls. They hit potholes. And they undergo large
changes in temperature in everyday use.

Any of these could lead the tire to fail rather dramatically while on the
road. Whether your friend could safely stop the car (and whether the tire
will not send shards of rubber and belt material into his own car's bodywork
or the open cockpit of a nearby convertible) is a matter of chance.

If this would make a tire safe, Ford would have been tubing Explorer tires
for years.

LR78-15s have not been made for about two decades, except by vintage-repro
folks like Coker. So if someone has a three-year-old Coker repro in that
size, have at it. But if you're thinking of procuring your friend an unsafe
OLD tire, maybe you should find a good lawyer first and be ready!

Just my 27 psi worth...

Chris in LA