Re: IML: brake master cyl pushrod

Ok, this is mostly from memory....

On most of these that I have removed and replaced, the rod from the brake pedal to the booster didnt have any adjustment on it. The pushrod from the booster did have an adjustment and in every piece of factory literature I have researched, it does not give an adjustment length or method. In fact, the one text I have seen for my 62 says to NOT adjust the length of the pushrod between the booster and the master cylinder. It does reference the rebuilders text, which was apparently something that was done at a level above the dealership, such as the in-house division Chrysler had to perform these type of tasks.

In a real world scenario, you need some amount of free play / clearance between the master cylinder piston and the booster to ensure the master returns fully when you release the brakes. This clearance will also determine to a degree, the " feel " of the brakes as you apply them because the booster is not just an on or off type relationship. If it were, it would be much more sensitive to pedal application and the result would be brakes that would be very touchy.

If ANYONE has found a reference to the booster to master cyl clearance at the booster pushrod, I would be extremely interested in hearing it. I have measured the distance on three boosters from 62 and 63 cars and found them to be the same, fwiw.

Thanks much

Mike Sutton
62 Crown Coupe