  From what I understand about the brakes on those cars the only parts that cannot be found are the cast iron housings and the pressure plates, everything else can be broken down into it's constituent parts and replaced. The wheel cylinders, according to Kerry Pinkerton, are the same as those used for the ordinary drum brakes, the springs, bearings, nuts, and bolts can all be substituted with proprietary items. The pressure plates, although unobtainable new, can have the friction material replaced by any shop that rebuilds brake shoes and clutches.
 If I had a car so equipped, and could not make the system serviceable, then I would convert it over to the drum brake system used on other Chryslers of that year as the spindles are the same. When you have a car this old the majority of its parts will have to be either rebuilt or ordered from mail order outfits like EGGE, most cannot be found on the shelf at your local NAPA, that's just par for the course. What I don't understand is why he swapped the engine over from a 331 to a 392, if he wanted more power then the substitution of a 354 would be more logical as it almost a bolt in and uses a block of the same deck height. Again I hope that he kept the original parts around and documented everything that he did so it can be converted back if need be.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing a left side tailight bezel and other trim parts. I could use a pair off of a lesser Chrysler but that would not be right.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 6:19 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 1954 Crown Imperial Limousine-WPC meet 2005

In a message dated 7/24/2005 12:11:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, jsadowski@xxxxxxx writes:

with unique features such as the
Ausco-Lambert disk brakes, they should be preserved not "Restified". This is
almost as bad as taking a Ghia Limo and chopping the roof. I just hope that
your friend put the original pieces away somewhere so it can be changed
back.

Aaron,
I have been round the block a few times trying to keep 67-69 Imperials stopping with their Budd disc brake system and have found it quite challenging.  I would tend to think that I would definately not want to go into the local parts store to request parts for my Ausco-Lambert disc brakes.  I too lean in the "purist" direction, but do believe there are times when having a car that is drivable and enjoyable beats having a pure garage ornament.  I also saw the car on the street at the meet in Burbank and thought it was a gorgeous car.  It looked perfectly stock unless you looked inside to see the 65 steering column; an item that only a real car person might catch as being incorrect for the car.  I am sure that many who saw the car stopped to enjoy its beauty and uniqueness, many others enjoy it as it passes by in traffic and turns heads anywhere it goes - looking just like a 54 Imperial limousine should with windows up and cold air blowing.  I believe this car has had a better fate than many that would be locked away for fear of driving a  vehicle that might not stop on demand.

John Muller - Atlanta
54 Custom Imperial
69 LeBaron