Re: IML: '73 headlight door motor lubrication

--- Rob P <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't understand how a sticking motor could make
> one side uneven.  The hidden headlight Mopars
> I've dealt with (primarily '80's Imps) have a bar
> running through the motor.

The '69-'75 Imperial headlight doors are likewise
actuated by an electric motor with a long bar running
through it.  The reason that a sticking motor can make
one side uneven is that it only takes a SMALL amount
of motor movement to make a noticeable gap on one side
or the other.

That bar running through the motor is pretty long, and
not very stiff torsionally--in other words, if you've
ever noticed, there's a lot of wiggle room at either
end of the bar.  The motor is designed to close the
doors TIGHT to compensate for the potential slack in
the bar--that's why there's a little adjuster screw at
the corner of each headlight door.  Once the door is
close SNUG, you can use the adjuster screw to make
sure it's perfectly even with the grille.  And note
that this adjuster screw works in tandem with the
flexibility of the bar going through the headlight
door motor.  If the motor gets lazy (which it does
after 30 years of being exposed to the elements right
there at the front of the car), then it doesn't close
the doors TIGHT any more, allowing one or the other to
be open a tad.  In my experience, it's always been the
driver's side that doesn't quite close.  I've never
measured, but I expect that the motor is a bit closer
to the passenger side, meaning the bar has a bit more
opportunity for slack on the driver's side.

Again, it only takes a SMALL amount of movement (or
lack of) by the motor to make for a noticeable gap at
the door.

Anyway, lube the motor-->doors close fully.  I've done
this procedure on two of my own cars, as well as a
couple of others, and it's always worked.

Elijah

http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/
http://www.imperialclub.com/~imperial71/bookshelf.htm
1965 Imperial LeBaron