Re: IML: In defense of "customs"

That there were three distinct model designations of Imperial is a fact. Calling one a "stripper" and one a "standard" is basically erroneous. The difference between the three models is obviously based on cost, but mostly because there were certain features that were available to all, and were standard equipment on some, depending on price.

This model line up mimicked Cadillac, and they did make Cadillacs without leather. This was called in the "62 Series" model designation and in later years, the "Calais". This corrsponded to the Imperial Custom. Both cars could be had with hardly any options. Nonetheless, they are considered Luxury Class Automobiles.

Crank windows has been mentioned in this. I have always thought that an Imperial from this period without power windows was at least peculiar, but they do exist and for a very good reason. In the '60s there were still lots of folks that just plain did not trust "all those new fangled electric gadgets". Many of these folks were old time luxury car buyers that went back to the days when a luxury car was distinguished mainly by quality and style, and not gimmickery. The fact that our society can no longer relate to this concept doesn't mean that an Imperial without power windows would be considered a "stripper". I have seen several 1960 Imperials that were built this way, and at the risk of diluting the "imperiousness" of the 1958 models, I have seen one or two of them with crank windows as well.

Bang on!

Paul W.