Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 10:02 PM
Subject: IML: Long Cranking Times

If the fuel system appears to hold a normal amount of fuel in a see-through fuel filter, other troubles could exist such as vacuum leaks and a slackened timing chain. I've had great improvements in start ups with the renewing of these parts. If a timing light shows a jumping timing mark, it's time to junk the nylon coated cam sprocket and replace it with a steel one and a new chain. Replace any vacuum hose that are hard and dried out. Minute cracking at the ends of dried up old hoses causes poor vacuum, and be sure to pull the carb spacer and thoroughly inspect. I had one that looked fine until I pulled it from the intake manifold where I could see the underside and just how riddled with cracks it was. If any of these parts are original to a 30+ year old car with >100k miles, it's time to do some replacement.

Eric
Portland, Oregon
for what its worth i have the exact same symptoms in my '74 Imperial; it
takes 4 cranks with pumping to start whether it sits for 24 hours or 6
months.its annoying but I live with it..it starts so much better in the
winter if you can call tampa having winter weather...I wonder if the bottom
of the bowl on the thermoquad is cracked allowing the gas to leak out...