Re: IML: Long Cranking Times/Fuel Draining Back

Re: IML: Long Cranking Times/Fuel Draining Back

Some of my cars have encountered a serious starting problem when cold due to clogged "primer jets". I understand that this would not have much to do with the fuel "draining back" down the system, but it can cause just as much trouble starting the car once it has been parked for a day or two.

My '68 with the original style carb, also has the fuel "drain back" problem. It has a glass inline filter close to the fuel pump. I can see that there is NO gas in it once the car has parked over night. I will explore the condition mentioned here by Steve concerning the seals.

The other day, I noticed a "gurgling sound" at the rear after a short run. I removed the fuel filler cap and got a loud "whoosh". I am wondering if this suction could act pull the fuel back towards the tank until the pressure is gone. I plan to replace the filler cap to see if it has any effect.

Paul W.