IML: Imperial Spirit

Hello, list,

Before the ImpCops step in, here's my two cents on smells, colors, and camaraderie on the IML:

Bill's entitled to his opinion. So is Ed. So are we all.

I love, drive, and maintain a 1973 LeBaron, a body style that seems to have received its fair share of criticism on the List, even down to not being a "real" fuselage Imperial. I still love it.

It smells like vanilla cavendish pipe tobacco, mostly, since there is nothing nicer than a pleasant drive with a well-filled pipe between my teeth. I know there are those who would never allow smoking in their cars. Mine isn't theirs.

I always thought of the 1967-68 cars as "Danish Modern," a choice that was not even on the ballot when "we" all voted to throw out "Haze Green" in favor of "Newest Prestige Car In A Decade," a slogan that won't fit on a button, for sure. They are still handsome, comfortable, capable, luxurious cars, as are all our Imperials.

My car has toggle switches to run the air conditioning (necessary in Mississippi) instead of an AirTemp II and beige bath towels for seat covers (but I'm planning an interior renovation for fall, finances permitting). I'm sure there may be some bluenoses on the list who think that's a shabby way to treat an Imperial, even a "gussied-up New Yorker" non-fuselage mid-70s Imperial. It's still my car, and my hobby, and my refuge from some of the day-to-day stress of modern life. It's always shiny and clean and people smile when they see me tooling around with the windows down and the breeze blowing through that incredibly comfortable cabin. It's my car, and I love it.

There are tens of thousands of people in Louisiana (and from Louisiana) suffering after Hurricane Katrina and hundreds of people within 10 miles of where I sit still without power 10 days after the storm brought _only_ 80 mph winds to Meridian, Mississippi. Do we really need to pick and one another and make personal attacks and pervert the spirit of the IML by taking potshots at people with whom we don't agree?

Let's put petty disagreements behind us and enjoy the IML together, learning about the cars we love and sharing the fellowship of these wonderful automobiles and the people who love them enough to keep them on the road. Oh, and if you can, call 1-800-HELP NOW and help the Red Cross help the displaced Americans (I refuse to call them "refugees") who need friends and neighbors now.

With Imperial sincerity,

Jay

Jay King
Meridian, Mississippi