RE: IML: Engine problems

Jay,

Just a couple of things to consider - from my limited MOPAR small block
experience.

A mismatched gasket under the carb cost me two weeks of agony.  Sounds to me
like timing is too high, but pulling your air from under the carb rather
than through it might cause you to be lean enough to ping.

A leaking vacuum advance can cause the sort of problems your seeing.  Have
you checked it to verify that the diaphragm is good?  Easiest is to pull a
vacuum by mouth to verify that it holds vacuum.

If the RB engine is set up the same as the LA, the distributor drive,
underneath the distributor, could be off one tooth.  Easy to correct.

Cam timing could be off.  Not so easy to correct.

Please let us know what you find.

Good luck.

Michael
68 Crown
---------------------

Just put a brand new long block 413 in my 64 Imp Convt.,..., coil, points,
condenser, cap, wires,
plugs and an Edelbrock 1406.

We set the plug gap at 35, points at 16 and the dwell dropped to 21.  I
hooked up the vacuum advance hose to the driver side port on the carb and
wired the electric choke thru the whatumacacallit on the firewall.

we set the timing to 10 and got it to idle smooth, then it would get rough
in gear, like it had a vacuum leak.  Then we were able to get it falrly
smooth by readjusting the distributor and it roared in park.  In gear, it's
smooth but slow off the line and pings.