IML: a lesson learned

Ok, it is not an Imperial I was working on but the lesson is good anyhow.

My 50 Windsor had been in storage for almost 10 years. Finally, I bought a place with shop and parking facilities to be able to play with her once again. She had ran fine when I had parked her so long ago, having taken me on several 1000 mile plus trips. So after trailering her home I put in a new battery, took out each spark plug and put in a little Marvel's, drained the old gas and replaced, cleaned the sediment bowl and all the other little things to get her ready to spring back to life. After a little hand cranking to help lube the cylinder walls and such I primed the carb and turned her over. She would start and run for 5 to 10 seconds then act like she ran out of gas. I could see that the accelerator pump was pumping gas in so I should have been able to keep her coughing along just by that even if the float or something else in the carb where gummed up. And thanks to a sediment bowl (wonderful things) I could see that she was getting gas so the gas pump was indeed doing it's part. After a dozen such tries and stops at starting her some raw gas must have made the way to the exhaust as she popped. I tried one more time to start her and she kept going and purred right along.

When I looked underneath I found what had been the problem. There was mouse nest stuffing all under the car (the tail pipe is rusted off just back of the muffler) and a couple of holes in the rusty muffler where the exhaust is coming out. I had been getting enough back pressure after 5 seconds of running that she would quit. When I heard the pop it had blown out some stuffing and blown a couple of holes in the old rusty muffler. I watched for the next half hour to make sure I didn't get a fire started in the mouse material that was undoubtedly still in the pipe. The moral of the story is to think about a plugged exhaust when she won't run but you know you have spark and fuel.

Now I am off to remove a rusty exhaust system and undoubtedly a little skin from my knuckles.

Ron Miller
68 Imperial Convertable
50 Chrysler Windsor

--
There are no stupid questions, just a lot of
very curious idiots.