Re: IML: 1967 1 of 19

I'm always skeptical about statistics like this. As far as I know, only Chrysler Corporation would know how many cars were made with which options. I think part of the reason this number seems to be so low is the fact that so many Imperials come with the switch on the dash that says "REAR AIR." But as Dick Benjamin pointed out, that doesn't mean the car has a second AC system in the space behind the rear seat.

I think the key might be the price of this option. I'm guessing it was pretty expensive. When you tack that on to the price of a car that is already the most expensive car Chrysler made, you have to ask yourself how many customers would ante up for that when the regular AC system was quite effective. I'm guessing it would be only a small percentage of LeBaron owners.

I would LOVE to see Chrysler's books on how many cars came with such-and-such feature. For instance, in my Color & Trim Selector for 1968 someone at the dealership has written "discontinued" on one of the colors offered for vinyl roofs (I forget which color). I'm guessing this color was discontinued because no one ordered it. But that means there were probably a few cars made with that color roof (unless the color was dropped after the books were made but before the cars began production). At any rate, it's a minor little mystery I'd like to see resolved . . .

Mark M