Re: IML: "Overhaulin" my 1970

Kenyon

I will start under the hood.

Re-build the 440 using the ''70 or '69 HD/ TNT/ etc spec's for they are the
same.  The most economical machine shop in your area can do a very good job.  (
I used NAPA the last time ... comes with NAPA"s warrenty )

Use the same size of valves that you have now in the heads.  (  Larger vavles
are great if you are going to make runs to the other end of the state.
You've got to build for moving that Imperial, which means building a torque motor.
)  Have the heads ported using the MoPar temp plate for the heads ( I have
this and I'll sent it to ya P4120437).

Look for the correct year dual snorkle air cleaner housing, a OEM Carter AVS
carb, the OEM Thermoquad or a Elderbroch of the same CFM's, the power steering
pump with the large diam pulley and a windage tray.

Spend some time and look for the latest style of car exhaust manifolds.
These manifolds appear the same as the HD/ 440 Six Pak/ TNT manifolds.  Have the
muffler shop use tubing the same inside diam as the manifolds.  They are to run
this into an "X" ( not an "H" or cross-ever).  Use the muffler's and
resonator's of the same diam in this system to make it country club quiet.

If you do this, .... MoPar Performace states that you will have more than 430
horses with your 440.  This is using the TNT/ ReStro/ 6 Pak cam.  If you have
the parts balanced then the hp goes up some more.

Due to the added power from your stock engine I would have the rear axle
assembly re-built with either the stock ratio or only go to 3:23 gears and
Sure-grip.  Fail to do this and you can keep the local rear axle shop with Christmas
$$$.

The HD transmission core is not the "meat of the trans".  But have a trans
shop rebuild the transmission to either HD torque-flite or the beefier
Load-flite spec's.  Do let them know that you have a heavy Imperial or a Motor home.
Run the trans fluid from the trans to the cooler at the bottom of the radiator
to a transmission cooler and then back to the transmission.

The last item of this area is the alternator.  Find the big boy that is on
the '81 - '83 Imperials.

I have written to the world for this manner of work on the 440 and to the
Imperials of your era is very good and the suddle bump, bump, bump bump from the
exh is country club exceptiable.

Thoughts

                                       Rodger & Gabby
                                       Colo Spgs

'47 De Soto Custom w/Fluid Drive & passenger door mounted swamp cooler
'62 Crown Coupe w/std A/C & Auto-Pilot
'66 Le Baron w/dual A/C & reverbed AM/FM
'70 Overlander - InterNational Dbl
'70 W100 w/318, NP 4 Spd, 3:55 & Short Box
'77 D150 w/360, NP 4 Spd, 12 Bolt Axle, OEM Buckets & etc