RE: IML: "Overhaulin" my 1970 - Alternator upgrade? Why?

RE: IML: "Overhaulin" my 1970 - Alternator upgrade? Why?

If one is doing an engine upgrade, but leaving most of the rest alone, why would an alternator upgrade be desireable or worth doing custom fab work to get?

Why do I want 85 or 100 amp?  What's wrong with "stock" 65 amp?

I do not plan any major stereo system - maybe something modest, but not a PA system of any kind.

This change didn't occur to me, and I can't see a reason to do it, but learning and asking questions is why I'm here.  Do tell....

Rob McCall <Rob_Mopar@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kenyon,

If the big boy Rodger is talking about is the 100 amp unit, that one can be
found under the hood of a mid '70's Imperial or NYB. It's huge, heavy, and
will require some charging circuit upgrades. The brackets will need to come
from the donor vehicle as well.

Other options are the late '80's 5th Ave/Ram truck alternator that looks
like the earlier 65 amp unit. I think the later piece is an 80 or 90 amp
unit, but I've never seen one in person.

I went with a Powermaster alternator for my Barracuda. It is based on the
65 amp dual field housing, but is rated for 90 amps.

If fabricating custom brackets doesn't scare you, one of the late model
Dodge truck alternators would work. I think they are rated to 160 or 180
amps. They are physically smaller than the original piece and pack a punch.
Going outside Ma Mopar, there's a Toyota unit that is popular with the
racers. High output and low weight. There are custom brackets available
for it off the shelf.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron