Re: IML: Puzzling, smoky NYB problem

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas, help and advice.

I think the leaking heater core makes the most sense as a starting point,
and is easy enough to diagnose. It's white smoke, not the white water vapor
you sometimes get in a modern AC system, and it will be simple to do the
"taste test" (thanks, but I'll make it a sniff test, as I'm reluctant to
ingest coolant in any quantity).

I couldn't imagine a way for the vacuum to be related. (I'm sure some odd
convergence of a leaking vacuum line and a leaking brake servo could create
this, but it sounded far-fetched. I just needed a reality check.)

For the record, I have not been driving the car with the brake condition! I
knew it was a leaking master cylinder the moment the light came on, and I
crept home at a safe distance from other traffic (of course, being LA, every
other driver kept filling in this distance, but hey, your car, my crumple
zone...).

Now off to check the heater core and find a new one plus a master cylinder
(and maybe a booster anyway, since they're both 27 years old regardless of
the low mileage).

Thanks again to everyone for your generosity!

Chris in LA
78 NYB Salon
67 Crown