Re: IML: Gary Goers, the real story!

It's not THAT unusual. Often people don't bother to probate a will until they have to because it can be expensive. For instance, if a husband passes leaving a wife who owns the house through rights of survivorship and has access to all the joint financial accounts. Sometimes later it becomes necessary to probate, for instance to move a piece of property that is jointly owned, without survivorship rights. It may be years before anybody bothers to probate that will. All states are different, but it often happens that way in NY. I have personally had people bring wills in 6 and 8 years after the date of death and this is not a major portion of my practice.

The statute of limitations on contract actions (in NY) is six years. Considering the problems Goers often has had with his paperwork it doesn't seem out of the question that he genuinely believed the bill had not been paid and if letters were sent and the buyer was deceased and not responding they would have believed they were in the right. Goers would most likely have written it off as a bad debt and sent it on to a collection guy. They get a percentage and may or may not be diligent. Since the buyer passed away it may have taken quite some time to locate the estate and then if the debt is bumping up against the statute, the collections people want the money NOW, as she said.

Funny thing is here is a party who got his parts and still complaining. Almost every complaint I've heard with Gary Goers came from waiting...and waiting and waiting.

Imperial content. Tonight I will be changing my oil in the street because my carb dumped raw gas into the engine. You can smell gas from 20 feet away when I pull the dipstick.

Rob