IML: 71 Hp

Hello All,
As I remember it, the reason for the net horsepower was not so that the government could help the consumer to really understand engine output. It was because the insurance companies were on the manufacturers for making cars that had the ability to go from 0 to 60 in well under 7 seconds. They were refusing to insure Hemi Chargers and 6 pack 440's. Also you must remember that 71 was the year for the now infamous cataylitic? converter and Chryslers air pump system.  I am not saying that the government may have not given this as a statement of purpose - just that the reality was simply money.
Incidently, the 73 Imperial was rated at 235hp. Both the 71 and 73 had plenty of grunt.
                                               Allan from Billings, Montana