RE: IML: Further on the Unleaded gas effects discussion of last month

RE: IML: Further on the Unleaded gas effects discussion of last month

No, and I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures as they came off.  I can tell
you that there wasn't much visible damage - all I noticed was that the 2
cylinders that had shown somewhat low in the compression test also showed
that their exhaust valves had been running hotter than the rest of the
cylinders. This was indicated by the whiter, bleached out look of the carbon
buildup on those two exhaust valves.   When I took the two suspect valves
out of the heads for a visual inspection, I could see some ridge in the
seats of the valves, showing that the valves had sunk into the heads perhaps
0.010" or so, but I did not measure the ridge.  There was also some erosion
of the seating surfaces - very minor but visible with a strong magnifying
glass.  This latter defect was what ultimately caused the valves to leak,
I'm sure.  I decided to replace ALL the valves (this car has almost 130,000
miles on it) and the timing chain and gears, and have the heads updated with
hard seats.

Dick Benjamin