Re: IML: The 1955 and the Rhinoceros

I wouldn't worry too much about stacking the bondo either. I had a Ramcharger that was totaled back in '82. My Dad had the frame straightened, pulled the fender out with a come along and then slaphammer. There was a hole every inch. Then he loaded the fender with Bondo. I mean LOADED. Quickie Maaco paintjob and that was it. Looked decent and lasted until around 2002, when the bondo started separating from the body. A large part of that problem may be the fact that the paint was silver and over the years seems to have worn through and I'm sure that water got in there causing rust and allowing it to separate. Either way, 20 years is pretty good.

I believe that the original owner was paid by insurance. As Doctor Challenger said his insurance company will get the money from the shop's insurance. It's a simple subrogation claim. You're right about small claims. An attorney will generally cost a minimum of $2,500. Sometimes you can get away with having a lawyer write a letter and pretending they are a family friend or that you will pay anything based on the principle. Believe me, I have a big family and they ALL have me write the letter.

Rob (Esq.)