Re: IML: 1966 Imperial checkin & brakes

> From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: IML:  1966 Imperial checkin & brakes
>
> Interesting ideas, Dan.
>
> But, somebody educate me here, please!
>
> In physics we learned that stopping a wheeled vehicle required only that
the
> wheels be prevented from turning, and that the wheels grip the road
surface
> well enough to avoid slipping.  All that was required was that the brakes
be
> able to lock up the wheels, and that the tires have an adequate
coefficient
> of friction.

<snip>

> I have a feeling I'm missing something here - so please take me seriously
> and tell me where I'm wrong.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick Benjamin

   I don't know; the Lockheeds in my '62 stopped that car really well, and
whatever was in my '63 (Bendix?) did a good job too.
   Bigger brakes do stop cars faster, I think because the greater swept area
brings the car down to the 'almost locked' condition faster.

   OTOH, if somebody isn't comfortable with their braking performance, and
can gain that comfort through a brake swap, more power to them.

      -Kle.
      '69 Crown 4DHT