RE: IML: fuel pump questions 62-63

Unless you removed the Allen head plug, the push rod is still in there.
Hopefully it's still in its bore hole. If it has fallen down into the
crankcase, there is a good possibility it could get caught up in the
whirling parts and permanently ventilate your crankcase for you, so check to
see if it is still in place.   It will be hanging down behind the open
window that the fuel pump arm goes into when the fuel pump is mounted.   If
your old fuel pump is still on the block, relax, the push rod has to still
be there.

If the car has been driven more than a few feet, and only in very clean dry
conditions, without a fuel pump in place, there is a good chance that water
and debris has gotten into the hole - which means the oil in the crankcase
is suspect - I think you need to look into this problem in depth, and soon.

If the Allen plug has been lost, along with the rod, the plug at least is a
standard hardware item - I believe it is a 3/8" pipe plug, and the head
doesn't matter, just coat it with a little RTV and screw it back in.  Of
course if the plug is gone, so is the rod - the only question is where it
wound up. If it's lying by the side of the road somewhere beyond where the
car was parked when the plug was removed, it can't do any harm to you now,
but if you don't know for sure, there's always a chance that it is down in
the pan.

Someone on the list suggested it can wiggle out of it's hole with the pump
removed but the plug still in place - I really didn't know that, and it is
not convenient for me to research it now - can anyone confirm that it can do
that?  It would be news to me, but that wouldn't be the first time.

Dick Benjamin