Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:59 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Car Phones?

Hello everyone,

There are several 1960 Imperial ads that feature radio car phones. Just out of curiosity (and because I collect antique telephones):

Has anyone ever come across an Imperial with a car phone installed? Motorola units were popular among the rich and famous in the 1960s and early 1970s.

What modifications are necessary to install one on the dash? I know the main receiver component is installed in the trunk (and weighs around 50 lbs).

Because there are no operators to connect radio phones to land lines anymore, I am playing with the idea of how to make such a phone actually work today in a car.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

-Alex K.