Re: IML: '68 Rough Running/Mine also

Hi Imperial Lovers,
I have a similer problem that David has but mine does not start unless I have the gas pedel half way. She just putts and if I floor it it will back fire. This just started out of nowhere. the car always has started and run fine until a couple of weeks ago. i car did sit for a while in the winter and is parked on 33% slope back first. I have the holly carb on it and was planning to change it to a better carb because the holly gave the 440,s trouble. You guys think it the carburator? It there a test that I can do find out what the problem is? What carb who you recommend. Spring is here and I want to get her going with the top down.

Thanks guys for all your help in advance.

David Duricy <desotobravo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, everyone.

I've decided that I would like to enjoy the '68
convertible on the road this season. To that end, I
gave it ten gallons of fresh gas and have been trying
to get the carb in tune. I rebuilt it last year.

The car starts easily; it takes only a turn of the key
when warm. When cold, just jab the accelerator then
turn key. However, the idle is rough with a kind of
surge that comes and goes. There is hesitation on
throttle.

The car has lots of power, which seems to come on
suddenly and randomly during acceleration.

I have capped off the manifold vacuum to the
accessories in hopes of "curing" a vacuum leak, but
the rough running remains.

I have checked and re-checked the float level

The fuel pump seems to be providing fuel in abundance.

Timing is spot on.

Every now and again, very briefly, the car will
suddenly run silently and smoothly.

What could be causing this poor running?

In a related vein, the car has a Carter AVS model 4429
S carb. I am puzzeled the by the needles. They are
white metal, like aluminum, rather than the usual
brass. Their rubber points are small disks, rather
than the points I see on other needles, like the ones
that came in the rebuild kit. When I try to use the
needles from the kit, they seem to be too large and
jam the float action.

Insights welcome.

Best Regards,
Dave Duricy
desotoland.com
1968 Imperial Crown convertible
1973 Imperial LeBaron (retired from fleet?)