Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 9:13 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: PCV systems and other California smog trivia; Was: correct
carb for '67?

The PCV valve was mandatory for CA cars starting in 61 (as I recall), but it
became a federal requirement a year later.  The purpose of that system is to
prevent crankcase fumes from escaping into the atmosphere via the "road
draft tube" that was on all cars until the PCV system.

The vent tube from the air cleaner to the oil fill cap is associated with
that system. (PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation.)

For many years after 1961, any car sold (of any year model!)in CA which did
not have a PCV system was required to have one installed - which involved
blocking off the road draft tube, punching a hole in the valve cover and in
the air cleaner, and installation of a PCV valve and tubing to affect a
closed crankcase system.  Thus there are very few air cleaners and valve
covers for any year car (prior to 1961) which have not been butchered in
that way to be found in California!   The PCV system actually does the car
and the environment a favor, though, and does not upset the engine tuning,
once the carburetor is readjusted to compensate for the extra air intake.

A similar draconian measure involved the mandatory retrofitting of a NOX
control device on all pre - EGR equipped cars in CA - right up into the 70s.
Thus you will find strange devices attached to the upper radiator hose and
distributor, and a little notice promising dire consequences for removal,
pasted to the core support on CA cars from that era.  This madness stopped
sometime in the late 80s.  I registered a 1939 DeSoto in about 1984, and had
to have all this stuff installed by a licensed smog station to get my
plates.  This little bugger made the car run like cr*p!  It was quickly
disconnected, of course.

The CAP package, which was a Chrysler Corp. modification to the carburetor
and distributor advance system to reduce emissions, came in sometime in the
later 60s, again I think it was first in CA, and later on all cars sold in
the US.

Dick Benjamin