RE: IML: Look before you leap - the '55

>I started to drive it on short shake-down trips around

>the block, and I found it woefully underpowered.  -So

>this is the vaunted Hemi that everyone talks about?  I

>felt like I would probably lose a drag to anything

>with more than 4 cylinders

Kenyon,

The 331 Hemi in your ’55 Imperial does not have as much power as you might think.

250 hp @ 4600 rpm

340 ft lbs @ 2800 rpm

8.5 to 1 compression ratio on regular gas

Curb weight of 4565 lbs

By comparison the 440 in my ’67 is rated as follows:

350 hp @ 4400 rpm

480 ft lbs @ 2800 rpm

10.0 to 1 compression ratio on premium gas

Curb weight of 5230 lbs

100 more horses and 140 more ft lbs of torque.  This makes for a much improved throttle response when you tip your foot into it, despite the fact that my ’67 weighs about 700 pounds more.

The 331 Hemi was better than anything the competion had to offer in 1955.  But I think many people try to equate it to the legendary 426 that came a few years later.

Not to worry though, my wife’s 300M will run circles around both our Imperials. J

Ken