From: Lib596@xxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:54:13 EDT
Subject: IML: Instrument panel thoughts

Hi Guys,

A few days ago the resistor in my temp. guage burned out. As a result I have lost the 5v feed to the temp, oil and fuel guages so none of them work.

I am getting a replacement temp guage from from Bob H. but just out of interest I am wondering if anyone has ever rewound the original resistor? It looks fiddly but possible.

I am also thinking about whether you could use a standard ballast resistor as a bypass for the original unit? This would supply 6v instead of five but I doubt that it would be enough to damage the instruments. Maybe this is a stupid idea. Would one additional volt harm the guages? Would it affect the readings?  I invite any competent car electricians to tell me if I am wrong and why. On the other hand, if it is possible, it may offer an inexpensive alternative repair for other Imperial owners with the same problem.

Best wishes,

Tony V.