Re: IML: How much is a necessary cost?

Hi Yasushi! ...I did not know the IML had a member in Japan! Welcome! To answer your question about the yearly tax's here in the U.S. is a little difficult. It seems that each of our States has their own rules about how much a owner must pay every year for a car. Where I used to live, in New York and New Jersey, the yearly 'registration' cost is determined by the WEIGHT of the vehicle. I now live in southern California and this state has a chart that depends on the amount you originally paid for the car and how old it is. I own a 1997 Ford Expedition 4wheel-drive and in New Jersey I paid $63.00 a year for the resistration. Here in California, even though the vehicle is now 9 years old, I pay about $120.00! Even though it is more than I had to pay in New Jersey it is still MUCH less than, I am sorry to hear, that you must pay there in Japan.

I am wondering how you are able to keep the Imperial in running condition? Where do you get any spare parts or items needed for a 'tune up' from? Although I do not know the cost to ship items from here to you in Japan, if I can be of any help when you need parts you can email me anytime and I will try to help you......all Imperial owners should help each other out as much as possible!!!.......If I was to send a part to you is there a 'IMPORT TAX' that must be paid? and how you could send me any $$$$ for the cost of a part, I do not know, but if this can be worked out I, or someone else in this IML group, would be glad to help out a fellow "Imperial Owner"! I am sure there will be many other IML members who will email you and are very willing to help you out in any way they can. This is a GREAT group of Imperial-loving car people!! (and also VERY knowledgable about all year Imperials!!)
I wish you well with your 1958 Imperial and hope you enjoy the car and that this club can be of help to you in keeping the car running as if it was new!!!
Again, do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help!!
Dan Melnik/dansgarage@xxxxxxxxxxxx

---- Yasushi Shiroi <bxn01303@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Hello everyone.

15 years have passed since I purchased 1958 Imperial.
I am maintaining the condition that the car can run.

The person who owns a car in Japan must pay an auto tax by the end of this mon
th.
I pay an auto tax every year for the car, too.

A tax depends on the engine displacement of the car.
I must pay 1000 dollars as an auto tax in case of 392 Hemi engine.
The person who owns the car which passed for 13 years pays 10% of the auto tax
es for the environmental protection.
Therefore, the inside of my wallet is always empty.

The people who maintain the car of the big engine are decreasing for this tax
system in Japan.
And, the people who maintain an old car are decreasing, too.

How much is a necessary cost in your country to maintain a car?

Yours sincerely .

(I wrote this letter using Translation software.)

Yasushi Shiroi
'58 Imperial Custom "Pointer"
BXN01303@xxxxxxxxxxx