RE: IML: Hello, and 1982 Coupe quesitons...

RE: IML: Hello, and 1982 Coupe quesitons...

>Hello, Nat;
>
>I'll try to help with some of your questions:

[...]

>Fourth: The stereo equipment for the 82 is a quartz lock am-fm radio with a
>cassette player.  It is nearly identical as far as fit and function to that
>used in the 5th avenue for the years around that time, and will plug in
>interchangeably.  You may want to exchange the face plates, though, so they
>look authentic. I don't know what exact year range is correct, but if you
>look at your spare radio and tell us what the 2 connectors on the rear of it
>look like (color and number of terminals) and I, amongst others, can tell
>you if it appears to be the same as the 82.

[...]

Well, today I dug up the old AM/FM cassette that came from the '87 NY.  At
the same time I pulled the dead AM/FM cassette from the Imperial.  Man,
that thing was hard to get out. It was fixed in place by some weird kind of
anti-theft screws I've never seen before. I'm not sure if those are
original to the car or not. Anyway, I had to saw it out around the plastic
the screws were holding in place. Before you start getting upset, don't
worry, the car or dash was not damaged in any way.  Only the plastic on the
radio itself.  And the radio was already junk before I got anywhere near
it.  There is half a cassette broken off inside and just by looking in the
door it is plain someone who got ahold of it before me had their way with a
pair of pliers inside. Not to mention the unit is completely dead as none
of the controls on it do anything at all.

After removing it is obvious that it's connections are not at all similar
to the newer radio from the '87 NY.  The '87 NY stereo has two plug sockets
on the back of the unit itself, both with 7 pins in a straight line.  The
Imperial radio has two wire bundles coming out of it. One of the bundles is
split into two terminals and the other has one terminal with some kind of
six-pin connector. Are these two units even electrically compatible if I
were to wire an adapter?

That's probably moot right now though because at this point I probably just
want to try and find a working Quartz Lock AM/FM cassette system.  Were
these units used in any models other than the Imperials? Any suggestions or
where to find one, or a compatible unit I wouldn't have to wire an adapter
for?

Finally, is anyone interested in the dead unit? I have no idea what for: It
doesn't work, the faceplate is in downright terrible condition, half the
chrome has peeled off, and the edge of the cassette entry hole is all
chewed up. Maybe somebody could use the dials? Just thought I'd ask as a
courtesy before it goes in the dumpster.

Nat Hall
1982 Imperial Coupe