Re: IML: How much is a necessary cost?

I am of the opinion that insurance is a necessary evil that you do not actually plan on using except for a catastrophic event. Once I get any vehicle below about $5000 in value I drop the collision and comp. I am more interested in the liability insurance to protect my a$$ from lawyers. The Imperial is on the same policy as my other three vehicles( 99 Intrepid ES , 05 Pacifica Touring, 06 Odyssey EX-L) with an attached umbrella policy with many zeros in it. The total insurance on all four vehicles with comp and collision on the 05 and 06 is about $160/month.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Scott"
Subject: Re: IML: How much is a necessary cost?
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:53:25 -0400

Fred,
I read you last response about necessary costs and saw that your insurance doesn't include collision and comprehensive.  Have you ever thought of inquiring about collector/antique insurance from one of the companies that specialize in it?  You could probably insure with one of these companies for about the same cost and have collision, comprehensive and replacement value.  I have a 60 Crown, an 80 NYer 5th Ave and an 85 Shelby Charger all insured on the same policy with replacement value for each.  It runs me about $120/year.
Just a thought.
Tom