Re: IML: LeBaron Coachworks in 1962

There were no LeBaron convertibles, unless someone cut the roof off a
LeBaron 4-door hardtop or swapped some trim. I imagine our new member simply
misspoke, or else he has an extremely rare car!

And despite pretty badges to the contrary, but the '62 LeBaron was just
another model or trim level and came down the same assembly line, using the
same workers and tooling, as the "lesser cars" wearing the Imperial name.

One (or two) of those line workers would install the badges that marketing
developed to capture the spirit of the coachbuilding days, but even though
the beautiful cloisonne emblems on the C-pillars read "LeBaron Coachworks,"
it was more of a tribute to that era (and to the coachbuilder that had long
since been dissolved into Chrysler) than evidence of a custom, handcrafted
automobile.

Nonetheless, every Imperial received Chrysler Corporation's finest
workmanship and they were arguably the best-crafted mass-produced car of
their day.

Only the Ghia-built Crown Imperial limousines qualify as coachbuilt
automobiles among 1962 models.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon