Re: IML: Headers

The only ones that have a chance of working are called "block huggers".  None were made specifically for the Imperials of any year, and even C body applications are hit and miss, so you are in unexplored territory.  I do not know of anyone who has done this successfully on a 413.

In addition, you need to be careful because underhood temperature is already an issue with our cars.  Having headers won't help.  The other thing to worry about is noise.  You may experience an uncomfortable vibration at certain RPMs that wasn't there before.

If you are looking for a performance boost in your exhaust, you may want to consider installing an H pipe instead of headers.  That's cheap and effective.

Then take the money you save and start making changes that help your bottom end torque.  If you're not racing, you don't need anything that increases horsepower above 4000 RPM because you'll never spend any time there.

Up to that 4000 RPM point your stock flow is close enough to ported flow that it's not worth the trouble.

You want torque, not horsepower.  Before you start spending money on a bunch of performance parts, I recommend you spend some time and money bringing your stock system up to snuff -- hoses, pumps, wiring/ignition.  Look for leaks and make sure everything is torqued to spec.  If you are still not satisfied, switch to electronic ignition, get your heads reconditioned, crisp up your transmission, get your carburetor tuned professionally and put some fat tires on that bad boy.  If you want a little more oomph off the line, change to a 3.23 rear end.  Please note your gas mileage will suck even more if you do that and you'll need a different speedometer pinion.

Happy motoring,

David

'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 LeBaron dual air and every option known to man