'61 Crown 4D Southampton
From: randalpark@xxxxxxx

Just a guess here, but I will say that somebody in the company must have considered the Imperial a labor of love. At least I would like to think so since they kept making it during continued periods of low sales which were the norm rather than the exception.

The most recent Collectible Automobile has an interesting side bar about the 1974 and 1975 Imperials contained within the article about the N.Y. Brougham. In a nut shell, it states that the only reason a '74 Imperial was made is that one of the design folks wanted to see that grille (designed specifically for the to be non-exisitant Imperial) on a production car. Egos and office politics prevailed and resulted in the car being offered for the unanticipated two year run.

Interestingly, I think that I read that the 1975 Imperial production was between 8,000 and 9,000 cars, while the nearly identical car for '77 with NYB badging sold over 56,000. I hate to even think it, but maybe the Imperial name really was the problem?????

Paul W.