IML: '75 Imperial and '76 New Yorker Brougham; was New Imperial Opinions

IML: '75 Imperial and '76 New Yorker Brougham; was New Imperial Opinions Labor of Love?

randalpark@xxxxxxx wrote:
Interestingly, I think that I read that the 1975 Imperial production was between 8,000 and 9,000 cars, while the nearly identical car for '77 with NYB badging sold over 56,000. I hate to even think it, but maybe the Imperial name really was the problem?????
Total Imperial production for the 1975 model year was 8,830.  The factory base price for a '75 Imperial four door hardtop was $9,046.

Total New Yorker Brougham production for the 1976 model year was 33,732.  The factory base price for a '76 New Yorker Brougham four door hardtop was $6,732.

My intuitive guess is that the $2,314 price difference--25% LESS than the Imperial of the previous year--was likely the big motivator.  Since the '76 New Yorker Brougham looks almost identical to a '75 Imperial, I bet many folks thought it was a groovy deal to get the top-of-the-line car for a couple of grand less than it was the year before.  ;o)

So I don't think it was necessarily the name, but more the sticker price.

Thanks,

Elijah

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron