Re: IML: That Salon

Yes, the Salon has the âformal backlightâ of the â74-75 Imperials (in fact,
the grain stamped into the aluminum rear window surround trim matches the
Boar grain of the Imperials and not the Elk grain of the â78-only Salon
roof). However, since the Imperials and '76-77 NYBs used the âhaloâ vinyl
roof (which stopped before reaching the drip rails) and the â78 NYB used a
full roof finish, the overall roof treatment is unique to the Salon. And
since itâs padded Elk grain (very smooth grain) and metallic silver, itâs
quite different! (And wherever did they find metallic silver elk?)

The wheels, which are part of the Salon Package, are actually a bolt-on
fascia. The finned part you see is an aluminum casting that bolts from
behind to what is essentially a wider, flat-black steel wheel...a version of
the well-known âchrome styled road wheelâ that is a unique part number for
this wheel treatment. There is a flat stainless-steel trim ring around the
outside, inset with a white reflective stripe, but what you end up with is a
steel wheel with the look of an alloy wheel (or as I sarcastically put it,
the weight savings of steel with the easy care of aluminum). I love the look
of exposed lugs on a luxury car...itâs so sporty.

The only other Salon-exclusive part is the leather-wrapped steering wheel.
That and Chryslerâs very first clearcoat paint (which the car in the photos,
which happens to be my 17,500-mile original, still wears). All other
elements of the package were collected from the regular option list. In
addition, four other options were required with the Package: Trunk dress-up,
fender skirts (which had become optional on NYBs for 1978), electrically
heated rear window, and JR78-15 wider-whitewall tires. With all of these
options plus the optional Corinthian leather (velour was standard), the
Salon Package added $1,130 to the $7,715 base MSRP of a 1978 NYB 4-door (15%
of the base price).

Thanks for the kind words on the pix, Anthony!

Chris in LA
78 NYB Salon (âThat Salonâ)
67 Crown