Re: IML: 61 Convertible & Great Race - Almost Ready

Thanks, Mark. I also XNR XS, as Exner always used that abbreviation himself. That's one of my favorites so far!
jc

On Jun 6, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Mark Jefferson wrote:

To me, no Exner design screams EXNER! like the '61.According to the NY site, EXNER is available, or if you want to make more of a statement. EXNERXS is probably free as well. Hope these help.

Looks like SOME restoration job on that Imp., Have fun with the great race.

Mark.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Corey" <jcorey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IML: 61 Convertible & Great Race - Almost Ready
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 23:28:41 -0400

IMLers: I'm getting REALLY excited.

Rule One is NEVER do a restoration with a deadline, but I never
claimed to be good at  rules.

So, despite a few bearable compromises and an incredible amount of
running around to get it those millions of little whoops-we-need-
thats to get it all done, I think this beautiful car will be making
  her reborn debut in the Great Race.  It's just 3 weeks out now,
from  Philly to San Rafael June 24- July 8: a mere 4200 mile timed
shakedown cruise!

After the first shop I put on this job ran away with the budget and
  then botched the work,

(see the recovery story at:   http://www.classicresto.com/mambo/
content/view/91/43/  )

I was resigned to missing the Race and losing our entry fee.  OK,
it  cost more than the entry to get it done right and in time, but
old- car logic works in strange ways!   Major thanks and my
top-level  recommendation for Mel Benzaquen and Classic
Restorations in Stony  Point, NY.  On the other hand, I won't be
having anything at all good  to say about the 'Guild of Automotive
Restorers' in Branford, Ontario!

But that's mostly past (there are still some dollars in play).  For
  now, I'm feeling the excitement.  Though it's not yet posted,
this  weekend, we did a nice set of new Coker wide-whites.  I can't
wait to  roll this out into the summer sun!

I'll check back in as soon as we're inspected and I can post some
hi- res photos set in the real world.  Then, I'll try to post
during the  race, too.  Kenyon, there's a big story to add to the
61 page, coming  slowly together in all this.

Anyone who cares to vote on a new vanity plate, email me
separately:   lots of good ones like 'XS' are taken, but I like
COOL XS or OPEN  XS.  TOY YOT or ECONOCAR are long shots.  Anyone
who wants to play  can go to:

https://corvus.dmv.state.ny.us/personalizedPlates/EmpChoosePlate.cfm

and see if your idea is available here in NY State.

Thanks,
jc

John Corey jcorey@xxxxxxxxxx,jcorey@xxxxxxxxxxx CFIC-Qdrive, 302 Tenth St., Troy, NY 12180 USA 518-272-3565 fax: -272-3582

--