Re: IML: 61 Convertible & Great Race - Almost Ready

Hmmm... that's subtle.

Friends, perhaps the plate ideas should go direct to me (not whole list)? I promise to tell you all the result. jc

On Jun 6, 2006, at 8:11 PM, Rob Kidd wrote:

I happened to get a scam email today that was titled "top heavy." May be
fitting for an Imperial plate? "TOP HEVY" ??
Rob Kidd 61/65

 ----- Original Message -----
From: John Corey <jcorey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 11:28 PM
Subject: IML: 61 Convertible & Great Race - Almost Ready

IMLers: I'm getting REALLY excited.

Rule One is NEVER do a restoration with a deadline, but I never
claimed to be good at  rules.

So, despite a few bearable compromises and an incredible amount of
running around to get it those millions of little whoops-we-need-
thats to get it all done, I think this beautiful car will be making
her reborn debut in the Great Race.  It's just 3 weeks out now, from
Philly to San Rafael June 24- July 8: a mere 4200 mile timed
shakedown cruise!

After the first shop I put on this job ran away with the budget and
then botched the work,

(see the recovery story at:   http://www.classicresto.com/mambo/
content/view/91/43/  )

I was resigned to missing the Race and losing our entry fee. OK, it
cost more than the entry to get it done right and in time, but old-
car logic works in strange ways! Major thanks and my top-level
recommendation for Mel Benzaquen and Classic Restorations in Stony
Point, NY. On the other hand, I won't be having anything at all good
to say about the 'Guild of Automotive Restorers' in Branford, Ontario!

But that's mostly past (there are still some dollars in play).  For
now, I'm feeling the excitement.  Though it's not yet posted, this
weekend, we did a nice set of new Coker wide-whites.  I can't wait to
roll this out into the summer sun!

I'll check back in as soon as we're inspected and I can post some hi-
res photos set in the real world.  Then, I'll try to post during the
race, too.  Kenyon, there's a big story to add to the 61 page, coming
slowly together in all this.

Anyone who cares to vote on a new vanity plate, email me separately:
lots of good ones like 'XS' are taken, but I like COOL XS or OPEN
XS.  TOY YOT or ECONOCAR are long shots.  Anyone who wants to play
can go to:

https://corvus.dmv.state.ny.us/personalizedPlates/EmpChoosePlate.cfm

and see if your idea is available here in NY State.

Thanks,
jc

John Corey jcorey@xxxxxxxxxx,jcorey@xxxxxxxxxxx CFIC-Qdrive, 302 Tenth St., Troy, NY 12180 USA 518-272-3565 fax: -272-3582