RE: IML: 1981 - 1983 IMPERIAL QUESTION

Gorilla Glue is great for its tenaciousness long-term, but it is anything BUT fast-drying. We use it in the wood-working shop when we can clamp boards tightly together for a few days, but not if time is an issue or if one would have to stand and hold something in place for a day or two. I have found that the faster-hardening version of JB WELD works very well for things of this sort, providing it is carefully applied to a clean surface in a quantity that won’t squeeze out excess all over the outside of the piece. If the back of the piece is just the slightest-bit rough and also the mating-surface, it would help to give it some “tooth” on which to grab and hold . I have several parts that have lost their fasteners and have held for years with this stuff, including a cross-over exhaust-related small tube that is under pull-away tension and had both bolts into the block broken.

Kristian Oyen

Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:05 PM
To: Imperial Club
Subject: IML: 1981 - 1983 IMPERIAL QUESTION

I am restoring a 1982 Imperial. I have three 1981-1983 Imperials - one project car and two parts cars. None of the three cars have the crystal pentastar on the exterior opera lights on the "B" pillar. A friend who has two 1981-1983 Imperials says they were glued on and have all fallen off - and new parts are not available.

What I am thinking about doing is glueing the crystal pentastar from the steering wheel horn pad to the opera lights. I think it will fit and I have two of those pentastars. The question is what glue should I use? I am thinking about "gorilla" glue because I am impressed by their advertising claims.

Any thoughts on my proposal?

Burt Bouwkamp