Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:17 AM
Subject: FW: IML: Two questions about the 413 engine of a 1960 Imperial

If you disconnect the primary wires on a coil, it cannot hurt anything, but if you disconnect the secondary wire (the high voltage wire), be sure to ground it to the engine ground securely.  If it is just left waving in the breeze, it will arc to anything in the neighborhood that is within ½ inch or so, and/or cause a carbon track to form down the coil tower.

This is cautioned against in the later car service manuals ? but if one has converted an earlier car to electronic ignition, there is no such warning in your car?s manuals.

Dick Benjamin