Fan Clutch; was Re: IML: Cooling Issues Part two

Fan Clutch; was Re: IML: Cooling Issues Part two

JAY D'ANGELO <cadij@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How do I know if the fan clutch is bad?
Wiggle it.  Standing in front of the car with the hood open, grab the top blad of the fan and try to move it toward the front and rear of the car.  If there's more than the tiniest fraction of an inch of play in the clutch in this direction, it's time to replace it.  Also look around the shaft of the fan clutch.  If it looks greasy and dirty, that's the silicone oozing out of it, indicating it's time to replace it.

If the fan clutch has never been replaced, I would just go ahead and replace it.  It's relatively cheap and easy.  Be sure to get a replacement clutch for a car with A/C--the non-A/C clutch is different.

Good luck!

Elijah (who's replaced a bunch of fan clutches over the years)

Imperial Power Window Switch Repair

Find Repair & Shop Manuals, Parts Books, History & More at The Imperial Bookshelf!

  My Collection of Imperials

1965 Imperial LeBaron
  1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Sedan
  1970 Imperial LeBaron