Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 6:00 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 1962 Imperial LeBaron-Need advice on problems

Isenhour <isenhour@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Here?s my 1st  problem:  Engine runs great, idols fine after it?s warmed up a bit but when you put in DRIVE it starts to shake, rattle and shimmy like something is loose.  It?s not the motor supports.  When you get the car going down the road it does fine.It?s only when I come to a stop that it shakes so bad, almost to the point of cutting off it?s so bad of a shake.
It sounds like a vacuum leak, and it's most likely a leak in the power brake booster.  The booster can leak when you have your foot on the brake--as you likely would when you're sitting at a stop light--but then not leak (or leak less) when your foot is off the brake, as it would be going down the road.

The easy check is to tightly block off the hose to the brake booster and see if the engine idles better.  Boosters can be rebuilt, and there are good resources for this listed under the Repair section of the website.
2nd problem:  Air conditioning is working and blows cool air.  But when you engage it you see and hear the clutch running like it?s loose or out of balance. Makes a lot of noise like a bearing problem.
First check to make sure the bolt in the center of the clutch is good and tight.  Seems like a simple thing, but you'd be surprised.

Good luck!

Elijah

Do you Yahoo!?