RE: IML: Need some power window motors for my '68

RE: IML: Need some power window motors for my '68

I replaced the brushes in several of mine about 15 years ago. As I recall, I started at NAPA and tried to match up brushes for random alternators. Then I went to a shop that rebuilt alternators. I ended up having success at an electronics supply store (do they have those anymore?). Depends on where you live, but I imagine that an auto repair shop or your Yellow Pages could lead to an alternator rebuilder, who could then lead you to a source for brushes.

The most fun part is reassembling the motor housing with all three brushes and springs in place, since it's the housing that holds the three springs in place! Work indoors and with a clean floor so you can find the springs after they fly across the room just when you think you have them in!

Or hit the junkyards and eBay in search of more youthful motors. The motors are common to all Mopars with power windows from the LBJ era well into the Reagan era (no political commentary implied nor expressed), although you'll need to reverse the wires on later ones because the polarity changed sometime in the 80s (no big challenge, and again, no political commentary intended).

You should secure the windows in the up position. A soft rubber wedge doorstop or two (one near either end of the glass and on either side) between the glass and window-sill opening usually works, if you're willing to trust your fingers to friction alone, which I'm not endorsing but have done. But as I recall there is no need to remove any other part of the window mechanism in a '67-68 car to access the bolts holding the motors in or to wrestle the motors out (you need to turn them and guide them out near the bottom). All the bolts have access holes in the inner door panel. Maybe the 2-door rear motors are different, though. Either way, please be careful and abundantly cautious, as the mechanism is a giant weighted scissors.

Good luck and safe springing!

Chris in LA