IML: 72 air conditioning

The autotemp servo in my 72 is gone, and at $700 I can't afford the replacment. My car is black and we are in south Alabama, to say it gets hot is an understatement. My wife loves the way the car rides but during the summer she won't get in it.. Does anyone know how to bypass the autotemp feature and get some kind of air in the car? Maybe direct wire the compressor to a switch on the dash and move the fan speed control to a different switch. I am very familier with automotive wiring just not sure about the air system in this car

Thanks for the help,

Jon Davidson
'72 Mr President