Re: IML: Why I Choose Imperial Over The Competition

I now own an Imperial becausein my opinion it is the ultimate Mopar. I started with a 66 Fury, moved to a 66 Newport and finally purchased a 69 Imperial. I like big old American cars with the emphasis on big. There are GM and Ford products that I like, but I feel that Mopar is the best and again, Imperial the ultimate Mopar. For many years Mopar were the poor step-child of the auto hobby. It appears that things have changed. I guess that is good.

----- Original Message -----
From: randalpark@xxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Why I Choose Imperial Over The Competition
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:12:42 -0400

One of my earliest memories of my parents looking at cars was a visit to a Chrylser dealer around 1956. I plainly remember my father pointing out that the 1956 Imperial was the best car built in America. There were a handful of 1955 and '56 models on the lot for display and sale. My most vivid memory is standing eye to eye with the eagle spread out across the front of a '55, and peering into the slots of the grille into the radiator. Seeing one of those cars behind us, as we travelled down the road for the back "seat" in our first brand new car, a 1957 Volkswagon Karmen Ghia Coupe, was awe inspiring, especially for a little kid in Passiac, New Jersey.

As much as my father apparently revered the '55 & '56 Imperial, when the '57 models were introduced, they were by many actually proclaimed to be the best cars built in America. As new cars their styling was way ahead of the competition. Engineering wise, they won hands down in every area, except possibly the odd placement of the turn signal switch. Chysler Corporation had reached a pinnacle, and what could be better than their top of the line offering, the Imperial.

They finally got their chance a few years later to trade in the Karmen Ghia on a new 1960 Imperial Custom Sedan. I was still a little kid, but I knew that was a big step, and we had a great car. My mother's car had been a 1948 Chysler Town & Coutry 8 cylinder Convertible. It was beautiful, but not easy for my mother to drive. My father always was impressed with the handling and, yes the stopping power and safety features of the new Imperial. We kept that car and I still have it today.

I was very interested in Lincolns during the '60s as well. The young Kennedy Whitehouse was very impressive and promoted the image of the trim and stately 1961 Lincoln Continental. Throughout my early years, Imperials and Lincolns were my favorites. I collected plastic scale models of each. When I bought my first car it was an Imperial and stayed that way. I still haven't ever owned a Lincoln from that period, but I have older and newer ones that I very much enjoy, but my discussion of them is for another mailing list.

Paul W.