Re: IML: Unusual Imperial Concept drawing found

Re: IML: Unusual Imperial Concept drawing found

The licens plate has "S series" on it.   That would make it a proposal for
the 1962 model year, if it was done in the late 1950's.  Chrysler
engineering uses/used letters to denote model years - A, B, C, D, E, F, G,
H, J, K, L, M, P, R, S, T, and V.   The series would now in its fifth
go-around. with "A" being used for 1924-25, 1942, 1965, 1982 and 1999..  The
letter "Q" was used once - for the 1960 Valiant, which was model "X", the
only Valiant not to be "V".   By the way, 1946 to 1949 was "B" and 1951-52
was "E", in case you're wondering why there are more model years than
letters in the 1942-64 period.

Virgil Exner was working on a new theme for 1962 to replace the Forward Look
and the fins.  The cars were to adopt a fuselage look, with curved side
windows and the C pillar curving from the roof to the rocker panels with no
break.   The line along the hood was to cross the top of the cowl and the
turn up to form the base of the windshield.  Front fender were to be
scupltured blades.  Bascially, think 1960 Valiant, or more so.

Unfortunately, Chrysler's president in late 1959 heard GM execs talking
about a new smaller Chevrolet and thought they were discussing a smaller
Impala for 1962.  And thus the "S" series 1962 Plymouth and Dart got shrunk.
And with all that money being poured into a new body for Plymouth and Dodge,
nothing was left for Chrysler and Imperial.  The Imperial got a new grille
and rear quarter panels, and the Chrysler became a 1961 Polara with Chrysler
front ends, instrument panels and new finless rear quarters (except the
wagons - they used 1961 Plymouth wagon rear quarters and tailgate.)

Exner did get a chance to use the Imperial design, though.  It was much
modified, losing the sparrow-strainer taillights and adopting Chrysler-like
grilles.  Because of money restraints, the body was based on the 1960-62
platform and cowl and thus lost the curved side windows and body sides.  In
other words, the S series Imperial became the T series Chrysler.

Bill
Vancouver, BC