Re: IML: Trans fluids

On 727 or 904 Torqueflites you wont be hurting anything by using Dexron III instead of II, if you can even find Dexron II anymore...same reason you cant find Dexron with no number after it anymore, the II and III have taken its place. Similar to motor oils, if you read the API markings on the containers you see SL or whatever the current spec is now instead of SD or SE etc etc, the newer ones are supposed to meet and or exceed the specs of the older ones as well as have whatever properties are required for today. ( Though, it has been pointed out recently that the new engine oils fall short in the zinc additive needed to keep cam lobe to lifter scuffing down, thanks to having to meet more stringent emissions rules ) Point being, on a 727 or 904 series you will be ok.

Having said that...on a 604 or 518 or the newer series, CHECK THE OWNERS MANUAL OR FSM! Owners manuals are a lot like Bibles and home first aid manuals, everyone seems to have one somewhere but how many actually get read. I can recall seeing a lot of vehicles I worked on over the years with the owners manual still sealed up in its little protective plastic sleeve, never having been looked at. If I was driving anything with an Ultradrive or the newer 500 - 518, or the 42 and 46 series rear drive transmissions I would definetly be using what it called for. My pickup uses the 7176 fluid, so I use it. The rest of my mopars all get Dexron III and have been for years, with no ill effects.

Hope this helps, my 2 cents worth adjusted for the value of the dollar against the peso and yen.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe