Re: IML: Is this why they are called Imperials?

Re: IML: Is this why they are called Imperials?

Wikipedia is wrong, and should always be considered as potentially incorrect  due to the way it is created.

The 1926 Imperial had an engine of c.288 cu inches which is c.4.8 litres, the later 6 cylinder Imperials had an engine of c.309 cu inches which is c.5 litres.

Imperial was the name for a body style, and there were certainly Cadillac Imperials right up until the 1950's, but I have not seen a Packard Imperial.... so wonder if GM weren't just using an old description for a type of body to annoy Chrysler.

In the United Kingdom the difference between a saloon (sedan) and a limousine was the Division between the driving compartment and the passanger compartment, but then we still had an Empire and had no need to give our cars Imperial connections!

I wonder if WPC had still been alive in the 1950's whether he would have been called to testify at Senator McCarthy's investigation into un American activities!!

Regards from Imperial England

Nigel Plant

1929 Chrysler Imperial L*80 Convertible Coupe by Locke