on oil and such things...

Greetings to all, young & old(er):

    Someone wrote recently about oil and additives - for their Imperials.  On this, there are a few things my daddy always insisted upon; however, only a few here.
    Always use a good, name BRAND oil, but a 'true Pennsylvania crude," as he put it.  Namely, Quaker State, Valvoline (foam-a-leene), or Pennzoil.  Here, in Ohio (USA), I use 10W-30 in the winter, and 10W40 in the summer.  He would insist upon changes about every 3,000 miles, along with the filter -- which absolutely HAD to be a Fram.
    For an additive, the ONLY thing he would permit was a small can (probably 8-10 ounces) of a product known as Bardohl (spelling?) primarily for the oil -- but could go in to the gas tank!  And this was probably half way into the 3,000 for the oil. [This has not been available here for maybe 20 years!]
    Engines back in the 1930s-40s were not as well set up to last the mileages which we demand today; back then, IF the body was good, and one had the money, the course was for an engine rebuild.  The engines of the 1960s were better but, still, not the best.
    For gasoline, again, use a know BRAND, and of only the octane needed.  The gasoline of the 1950s-60s WAS different than what is available today - both quality (ingredients/mixtures) and octane ratings.  Therefore, when one knows experts in the carburation (spelling?) field and in your own geogrphic area, listen to them.  The guru here will sell you anything on his shelf (owns parts distributoship) for what ever the price is for that product.  His favorite speech is, "You can buy/use this, at $6-10 per bottle, or do what I do in all of my older cars, trucks, and boats.  Go to any gas station and buy a gallon of kerosene, then go to most any store and buy a quart of (brand) ATF (automatic Transmission Fluid).  Then, for a 20 gallon fill-up (of gas!), mix SIX ounces of kerosene with SIX ounces of ATF, mix/shake thouroughly, then put into gas tank prior to the gas.  This will give your engine all the lubrication it needs ('cause gas today is "NO-LEAD") and boost the octane a couple of points, too."
    So, gang, what to do!  There is no one answer for all situations.  As I've been around for over 60 years, many of my father's traits have become my own - for good or not.  In my various cars, I use Valvoline or Pennzoil (but do not interchange), with changes twice per year OR every 2,500 miles, Fram oil - gas - air filters, and usually Marathon gas (or its subsidiary, Speedway), have used Shell, Citgo, [ but will not use BP/Standard/Sohio/ESSO ], and the atf/kerosene mix in the last 20 years.  Yes, the ATF/K mix is used in all of the older cars, be they Imperials or Packards, and, yes gang, they do run just fine!  But, the cars are driven lightly: they are not driven hard, fast, hot and put away wet!  Drove the 64 Crown Coupe ("Baby") from Ohio to New Jersey last July for the WPC National Show Car Meet, some 1,260 miles on the intersates, and she never missed a beat!  [This is one show boat that is not a trailer queen.]
    What to do?  Follow your conscience - mainly, and, just maybe, listen to an old(er) man -- for once! I am open to comments, naturally of a positive nature; but, please, no knives in the back.  What works for one person is not necessarily the only way to do something, as we all learn something new everyday - right?!  Thanks for the time.   Later,  ne