single or dual carb setup

Hi all
I was reading the post about the dual carb setup
when the carbs are inline the intake runners are to short ?
Than how about the 300 C with dual carbs
But what will happen when I make an intake manifold like on the 300 D
with one carb on each side of the engine ( Yes I can make this myself )
Will this give me a decent mileage and good performance
Can I use the original carb that is on my 392  I have one spare also so I have two the same
Or are they to big to use in a dual setup
Now I get about 10 MPG on propane with a heavy right foot

Thanks
Remco
57 4 dr ht
Daily driver